Wednesday 1 May 2013

Everyday in May: Day 1 - 'Bubbly'

So I'm doing a little challenge thing through the EDM Facebook page. It is Everyday Matters in May 2013 and basically, a lady in the group has written a list of 31 things to draw and each day this month you draw what is on the list for that day and post it to the Facebook group page.

 Day 1 is 'Draw something bubbly'. As this is the final full month of my pregnancy and as I have a practically brand new sketchbook I've decided to use the daily prompts to draw things that will be meaningful to me when I look back on my time carrying the baby, hence for today I drew a glass of fizzy water with a chewed straw.
I'd been to portraiture class earlier in the day and so had been all about accuracy and detail so, believe it or not, every single bubble in this is a bubble I saw in the glass. There was no random drawing of bubbles in this illustration, each and every one was carefully observed, I know, tedious right?! My favourite bit of this is the bubble inside the straw near the top.

Equipment: Retractable pencil - good for keeping a permanent point for the bubbles, my new Seawhite A6 travel sketchbook, W&N watercolours in red and blue (will have to check which ones), lamp black, yellow ochre. This was a bit of a gamble putting the watercolour on as I haven't tried it on the paper in this new sketchbook before. The paper in it is I think different to my other Seawhite sketchbook. But good old reliable Seawhite took to the watercolour really well. 

4 comments:

  1. I love it! The bubbles are AMAZING! They look so real! I love the way you got the water dissecting the straw (because of refraction? I don't know I forget my science words...)...completely got it spot on! You never cease to amaze and impress me with your crazy awesome skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I just spent a ridiculous amount of time staring at those bubbles trying to work out what was going on with them. I guess that's a good thing about being pregnant, you have time to sit and stare at bubbles!

      Delete
  2. I love this. So life-like. And those bubbles are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I thought it was going to be a bit of a boring thing to draw but once I started I got really into drawing it. I think the sketchbook takes a fair amount of the credit though. It really handled the paint so well.

      Delete