Thursday 9 May 2013

Every Day in May: Day 7 - 'Freebie'

I haven't posted for a few days as I've been really worried and upset because one of my cats 'Domino' went missing on Bank Holiday Monday.  Thankfully, the little beast turned up howling under my window at three o clock this morning. There are benefits to being a light sleeper and living on the ground floor! I couldn't believe it when I opened the door and he came running in squeaking. It was like seeing the Archangel Gabriel at the door!!  He is Loxie's twin brother who lives with my Mum but was staying with me. He doesn't know Bristol at all and I think he went off and probably lost his tracks. He was very hungry and disheveled when he turned up and has been sleeping and eating lots since his return but he seems fine. Goodness only knows what he's been up to for three night on the mean streets of the city, only him and his maker will ever know!

Anyway, on Tuesday I had started the theme for Day 7. It was a beautiful sunny day and I sat outside to create a lovely sunny pen and watercolour of my flat. But it was at this point that I was starting to worry about how long Domino had been gone and gradually my sketch was getting darker and darker. Instead of looking light and sunny I inadvertently put in really heavy shadows and over-hatched the door. The Stones song 'Paint it Black' springs to mind! Without meaning to I've made it look like there is a big old cloud of doom hanging over our home, which there obviously was! It's funny how your state of mind comes out in your artwork. I've noticed it in myself before and witnessed it happen to other people to.

Here is the result of my attempts at sketching that day. I've also included the little celebratory sketch I did of Domino curled up asleep in my wardrobe amongst my shoes today all content and happy to be home. It's a bit of an odd sketch as I used a black Aquarelle pencil for the sketch which I'd never drawn with before.


No comments:

Post a Comment