Tuesday 14 May 2013

Every Day in May: Day 14 - 'Figurine'

I don't have a lot of niknaks as I'm fairly minimalist and don't like to own too many 'things'. I think that's partly my personality and partly the result of so many years of travelling and living out of a backpack.  But contradictorily, I have a couple of collections. One is a pencil collection and the other is puffin objects.

I really think puffins are so cute and they seem like a pretty good sort of bird (unlike ducks!). There is an island kind of near me called Lundy where colonies of puffins descend for a couple of months each year. I've been there twice - and got really sick both times on the rumbley old boat that does the crossing - but I have still never managed to spot one of them! 'Lundy' is named after the puffin as 'lundy' means 'puffin' in Norse. Lundy is the tiniest place and they have their own stamps which instead of the Queen have a puffin on them. My mum has bought me quite a few puffin trinkets and this little porcelain figure is one of them. He is only 3cm high in real life.
Equipment: Pitt pen 'S', W&N watercolours in Cad Red Pale Hue (the orangey colour for his beak and feet - I never use this colour so it was nice to get to use it for once),  Cad Yellow Hue and Indigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment