Monday 13 May 2013

Portraiture Class 3

My back was killing me this week so I struggled with sitting leaning over my board to draw but I didn't think I had any major disaster with what I produced.

I started off with pencil and chalk pencil for the first sketch.

After the break my tutor persuaded me to use one of his graphite sticks and I really like it. I've only ever before used the graphite that is shaped like a pencil but this one I used in the class was a real lump with no pointy edges which completely changed the way I was drawing. I am so used to either using retractable pencils or 'S' Pitt pens for drawing so to use something without a point of any sort was really fun. Looking at sketches 2 and 3 now, I can see that I was a bit hesitant with the graphite at first as sketch 2 is quite lightly drawn but by the 3rd sketch I had got more confident. I really loved the effect the graphite made on my Heavyweight paper for the background. Considering the paper feels and appears to be fine textured I was surprised at the different tones produced. It looks like a brass rubbing.

The model 'Paula' does look a bit boss-eyed in sketch 3. She was falling asleep and her eyes kept closing so I was guessing a bit with her pupils!



No comments:

Post a Comment