Friday 10 May 2013

Every Day in May: Day 8 - 'Coffee Pot'

When I did the sketch of Domino yesterday I used a black Aquarelle pencil that was to hand. I've had this tin of them for years but never used them, quite frankly I never quite understood them. I imagine that they are good because they can produce something like a waterolour result but are less messy to carry around??  
I decided to try them out for theme #8 'Draw a Coffee Pot'. The sketch itself took a while because basically as I have recently come to realise, I don't think I'm especially gifted at drawing things that are round! I never seem to make the curve curvy enough.  So that combined with this being my first ever attempt with the Aquarelle pencils resulted in this drawing taking AGES!!!  It was only going to be a quick sketch because I knew I needed to catch up and do #9 as well!  I don't think these Aquarelles are for me really. I know that learning to use any medium well takes time, but I do usually find that I know from the start whether I like something or not. For instance, Promarkers loved them from the first moment I picked one up, charcoal made me cringe the first time I used it and has done ever since. 
I like how the filter turned out but that's probably because that was the part of the cafetiere I did last
I wanted to draw my coffee too as if this Swiss Water Process stuff didn't exist I wouldn't have been drinking coffee at all over the past few months. It's not easy to find, they don't sell it in the supermarket but fortunately a deli opened up on my high street recently which sells it. I reverted to using my trusty fine liner pens for the bag of coffee! Much quicker and more enjoyable personally. Oh, and it does say 'decaf' on the label, it's not that I couldn't fit it in!
Equipment: Aquarelle watercolour pencils (cafetiere). Triplus Fine Liner pens (bag of coffee).

2 comments:

  1. My hubby loves this one. He is a coffee fiend. I am too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, once I'm done with my pregnancy no-no food list, I am going to go somewhere and order the biggest latte!

      Delete