Friday 26 April 2013

Tower block at the end of my road (& EDM 313)

This is one of a cluster of tower blocks at the far end of my road. One day my mum looked up at them and said, 'Aren't you glad you don't live there?' and I said 'Yes, but I bet the flats at the top have got an amazing view of the city!' It always seems strange to me that there are tower blocks which are undesirable to live in, but people pay a fortune to live in 'apartment blocks'. I used to live in an apartment block in London on the 10th (or was it 11th) floor. I really miss the views I used to get from there.

I was waiting outside the pharmacy and I looked up at this particular block and noticed that the blue on it was about the same blue as one of the Berol Fine Markers I had put in my pencil case yesterday with the intention of keeping an eye out for something to sketch in that shade. It also struck me as a good composition for EDM #313 - ' Draw something you look up at from below'. I look up at these every day and one day when I move this will be a real reminder of where I used to live.

It's pretty obvious from this sketch that I am someone who has no patience with repetition and therefore drawing in any kind of repetitive way. I admire people who can draw buildings but I usually have no inclination to draw them myself. All those beastly windows to draw over and over again. So the windows on this block are pretty off. But then, the thing that strikes you when you look at a tower block is the scale of it and the blocky squariness of it, so I'm not too worried about drawing the correct number of windows. There are a lot and that's that!
Equipment: Moleskine A6 Sketchbook, Pitt Pen 'S', Berol Fine Marker in a turquoise (don't think they have name colours), Pitt Pen 'B' in Grey, Uniball Signo Gel Liner in White.

No comments:

Post a Comment