Tuesday 23 April 2013

Sketching at Antenatal Class

I did a couple of sketches of people sitting in front of me at antenatal class today. This was the second and final of the two antenatal classes (i.e. there are only two).  They are two hours each. I'd had the  intention of sketching some people in the surgery waiting room before going into the class, but I arrived right on time so went straight in. I was really glad though that I had my sketching stuff with me as it allowed me to disappear into my own little world. I really wanted to attend the classes in order to learn about caring for my baby but, as I am on my own I found the constant talk of the daddy's role pretty tough to take. Thank goodness for my trusty Pitt Pen and Moleskine!

So here are the sketches... The lady in the picture on the left was turned at a bit of a strange angle and I couldn't quite get the correct posture for her. I did learn a few things at the class thankfully, and another positive outcome of it was that a lady who was doing some kind of observations of the class leant over and said that she liked my sketches.

When I  got home I rang up and enrolled on a 5 week portrait drawing class at Bristol Folk House which put me back in better spirits!

4 comments:

  1. Well done with your sketches. Great practise. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aga. I think I'm getting addicted to sketching people!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you had a kinda stinky time at the class! I love that you take your moleskine and Pitt pens with you everywhere...I need to follow your good example and do the same! I also like the notes you take on your sketches and that you date them! My sister (who's a very good artist...she got 99% of the talent in my family's gene pool...) is constantly telling me to date my work so that I can look back and see how I improved over time. I always think it will look odd and usually "forget" to do it (and then she yells at me when I show her the date-less pages haha). I love the way you do it though, it just seems like it and the notations SHOULD be there! You're work is always so beautiful, and I promise I am going to work on commenting when I come by, so you know I'm not telling a fib when I say I check in on you almost every day! ...now you'll think I'm a stalker...I'm not a crazy stalker, I promise! Just an admirer of your greatness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The week has got a lot better what with the portraiture class and also my cousin sent me a massive haul of stuff for the baby. The box was so big I couldn't reach to the bottom of it!

      The putting the date and time on everything actually is habit I picked up from when I was travelling a lot and keeping a travel journal and also I sometimes wrote poems about the things I saw and the people I met. I also used to write down what music I was listening to at the time. I still do write down the music but I never seem to be listening to anything when I'm drawing at the moment. It's really nice when you find the old book and remember what was going on at the time.

      I definitely recommend using an A6 sketchbook and a just a couple of pens - I always have the black drawing pen, and a grey marker for shading if nothing else. The A6 sketchbook is so small I can just keep it in my bag all time and also it doesn't look obvious that you are sketching so people don't interfere with you - I find if I have a bigger sketchbook someone always asks me what I'm doing and then I don't get the sketch finished! x

      Delete