Tuesday 9 April 2013

D is for Duck (& EDM #315)

I've been wanting to go up to my local park and sketch the ducks for ages but it has been too cold. The cat and human sketches I have done recently have been making me want to sketch living creatures more and more.  Prior to that I had been thinking to go and draw the stuffed ones in the museum but I am hardly going to capture them in their natural state that way!! Also, the EDM next on my list was #315 - 'Draw something under water' and I thought that focussing on the bright orange feet of the ducks under water would be interesting. I'm not a great fan of bright warm colours but getting nearer to summer has been making me want to use orange and coral and yellow paint. Finally on Saturday we had the combination of sunshine and a bit of warmth. 
The park was so busy and as I sat by the pond sketching the ducks I noticed a few children with their mum pointing at me. Children are so funny how they think they're doing something in secret which is in fact really obvious. All the ducks were pretty sleepy. There was so much excess bread in that pond I think they must have gorged on it and needed a nap. They still move a surprising amount though when you're trying to sketch them. The wind sort of blows them about and they drift round to a different angle quite quickly!

I really like how this has turned out. I liked the sketches and was nervous to put watercolour onto them as I'm not not always massively confident with watercolour. The pencil ducks looked quite delicate and I didn't want to obliterate that with strong colour but I also knew that to get the bright orange I wanted I was going to have to use watercolours. I feel more confident about the watercolours again now.

Materials: Sketched with HB pencil. Coloured with watercolours.

No comments:

Post a Comment