Thursday 25 April 2013

IF Train (of Cats): A Shady Looking Bunch!

I haven't done an Illustration Friday drawing for a while as I've been too fixated on this sketching people and observational drawing business. But when I saw the theme for this week 'train' it tied-in with something I saw last week that made me really laugh but I hadn't been been quick enough to take a photo on my phone.  I was reading in the garden and I looked up and saw three of the neighbourhood cats - including Loxie - standing on the wall. It reminded me of those elephant trains. They were all looking at me, and on the wall they looked so much like they were looking for mischief.

For this illustration I've had to draw them all from memory and stupidly although I'd meant to draw this across two pages of my landscape sketchbook, I forgot and drew on a page that had something opposite. Hence only 2.5 cats!

In the train are: Front 'The Cloud' a bit of nuisance of a cat as I keep finding him in my house whenever I leave the back door open, and he's quite a scary looking thing with that big old flat face. In the middle is Loxie. And at the back is 'Fat Alf'. He lives in the flat upstairs and of all the cats in the neighbourhood, of which there are a crazy amount, he is one Lox has made friends with. I share a garden with the flat upstairs so I guess she's had to get used to sharing her patch!

2 comments:

  1. So neat! I love The Cloud...his puffy tail is THE BEST! I really like the brick wall too; the perspective is really well done... Perspective is one of the MANY things I struggle with, so I'm trying to teach myself to notice it more...in real life and in other people's pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a real compliment thanks because I also think I struggle with perspective. I always say the 3rd dimension doesn't exist for me :) I went outside to try and find those cats to sketch them but of course none of them were about when I actually wanted to see them so I sat down and started sketching the wall instead and spent quite a bit of time looking at it, holding up my pen to try and get the angles of the bricks.

    I saw The Cloud again today. He was wafting his tail around proudly. I think it might be even bigger than I drew it. It sort of floats! x

    ReplyDelete