Thursday 7 March 2013

Rainy Day Drawing

It has been raining all day today - even Loxie hasn't wanted to go outside, so here is a rainy day drawing, which I think really fits with the day.  I actually quite like the odd rainy day.  

This watering can reflects the day. I really like how droopy the spout looks. Sitting on the kitchen bench on an old newspaper, he makes me think of some poor bedraggled little creature that has been rescued from the elements.
I have given myself a break from drawing for the last couple of days.  I don't want to feel like I'm churning out drawings like I'm on some kind of illustration production line!  I wasn't going to draw anything at home today either but illustration class tonight was cancelled which I was disappointed about, so I decided to do the next EDM on the list - 'Draw a gardening tool'.

When I moved into this flat, there were lots of bits of broken old gardening implements outside the back door - forks without handles, handles without whatever had been attached to them etc. - and I haven't done anything to tidy them up yet.  Among them, a big green watering can had caught my eye yesterday as something I could draw, really as an excuse to use the bright green Promarker that I never use.   So I was going to draw the watering can with the adjective 'Spring' in mind.  The plan was to do a really loose and light sketch with the dip pen and ink and then colour it in with the green marker.  The rain on the window must have got into my head though because I've ended up doing some pretty heavy, dark ink wash instead. The top of the handle has lost a nice white streak of reflection by my accidental wielding of the brush. I might try and put it back in somehow (white acrylic maybe??).

No comments:

Post a Comment