Wednesday 13 March 2013

Me in the Snow at a Bus Stop

This is what I did yesterday.  I finally braved the cold and got 5 new Promarkers as my reward.  I spent over an hour choosing them! And I'm not convinced I actually got the best selection I could have.  I set out to buy one in a kind of lime/moss green shade...this illustration includes all the colours I bought, apart from a brown one, so evidently my decision making went awry at some point!!  While I was standing at the bus stop I noticed the snowflakes settling on my coat and I was amazed at how easily you can see their pretty snowflake shapes.  I realised that I've never actually looked at a snowflake up close before.  I've only ever seen them as little white blobs. I thought you needed a microscope to see their formation.  How can I have only learnt this at age 36???!
I really like the coloured dotty snow on the ground in this illustration. I chose to limit myself to using only the new colours I had bought that day in this illustration so I could see how they work together. I didn't use the brown though as I really didn't want brown snow!

The camera isn't picking up the colours sufficiently so the effect is a bit lost. I was on the verge of buying a scanner/printer today but it turns out my mum has a spare one she can bring me when she comes to stay at Easter.  Also, I haven't replaced my retractable pencil as I've decided to try and make use of a nice pencil set I have.  This meant I did lots of resharpening of a B pencil to maintain the fine lines!

I had had the idea for this illustration in my head anyway but I realised I hadn't done an EDM for a while and saw that EDM #322 is 'Draw Something Related to What You Do' I got the idea of making the bus stop sign a bit more of a life pointer. Although, incidentally, the bus I was waiting for was the number 36! I also might upload this to Illustration Friday for this week's 'Yesterday' theme.  Not exactly a concept illustration for 'yesterday' but it was 'my' yesterday.

Below are a few different composition ideas I tried for this although the final illustration turned out to be the composition I'd had in my head from the start.  

9 comments:

  1. Thank you. Hoping the weather warms up very soon as I'm about to outgrow my coat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful sketches Amanda, full of heart and joy. Thank you for sharing. It was a pleasure to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Aga. I really appreciate your comment. x

      Delete
  3. I just discovered your blog and have enjoyed reading the beginnings of this new journey for you. Your sketches and stitching along with the weavings of your words are charming, interesting... well... simply beautiful. Through your site I discovered "IF" and my mom and I are joining in beginning this morning. Eyeglasses should be fun. I look forward to visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kellie. That's a lovely thing to say. I'm finding that since I've been expecting my baby drawing seems to become easier and easier. And I have more time for drawing now as I'm at home more as I'm so tired all the time. I'm either drawing, swimming or sleeping! Really glad you've discovered 'IF'. I've found it to be really helpful for giving me ideas to draw things, especially for going beyond just doing observational drawings.

      Maybe your privacy settings are stopping your pic showing up? I'm not very clever with all this Blogger stuff yet. Hope to be able to find your glasses on IF this week! x

      Delete
  4. trying to figure out why my profile pic isn't there and blogger is -- as I am not a blogger sorry ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is so beautiful! It's simple, but not simple at all...I hope that makes sense...I can't explain what I mean in the right way. It just just know it makes my eyes happy. I found you via the creative everyday linky list, and now I'm NEVER leaving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely words, Sweet Red Clover. It really means a lot. Tbh, I used to think that everything I drew was a bit of a mess! :) But since I've been expecting the baby, my mind has become much clearer and so maybe that's coming out in the drawing. Also, I started swimming this year and ideas for things to draw seem to come into my mind while I'm swimming, which is also the time when I'm probably most relaxed. I always feel really refreshed by being in the water if that makes sense. Actually I'm about to go swimming now. I'm looking forward to looking at your blog when I get back. x

      Delete