Saturday 2 March 2013

C is for Cat (and EDM #327)

The sun is shining into my lounge through the window and I decided to move on to EDM item #327 - 'Draw something that is super'.  If you look closely there is some blurb to self about why I chose to draw her.  I really really enjoyed doing these sketches.  The bit of the blurb that isn't quite visible says 'you just need to get over the artists anxiety that you may end up with unfinished drawings on your page'.  There's something a bit daunting about knowing you're about to put pen to paper and that you're going to have an unknown amount of time to draw the subject. It makes me feel the same as sometimes when I have to step onto the top of the really high, fast-moving escalators in the Tube!  But the result is that you really do capture the essence of cat nature, rather than what you think a cat is.  I also love how these drawings make me think of Japanese art, although I don't know why. 
It isn't intentional that these EDM drawings are running in alphabetical order so far, but it is intentional that they are in alpha order in this sketchbook.  I've been thinking a lot about A-Z books and so thought that I might as well run the EDM list concurrently with an AZ in this sketchbook.  So for example, if for #326 I decide to draw something that begins with 'Z', I might draw it on the 26th page of this sketchbook.  I struggle with lists and collections that are ordered numerically or split into categories. They make me feel a bit nauseous. But alpha order makes me feel comfortable; ergo, A-Z sketchbook.

I also should add a note that I was maybe a bit harsh on this sketchbook in my last post.  Drawing on its paper today with a Pilot V7 Hi-Tecpoint waterproof pen, it was very nice with no skipping.  So it was possibly just the fact that the Pitt Pen yesterday was dying that made it such a cringy drawing experience!

2 comments:

  1. Catching the idea of a cat forces a quick sketch, for sure. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am definitely going to try this for other animals too!

    ReplyDelete