Friday 9 August 2013

Feeling your baby's pain...and using the red pen I'm always scared to use!

We went to get the 8 week jabs done and it was horrible. I felt so guilty taking Alexander to the surgery knowing that something horrible was going to be done to him. Then when the injections were put into his legs and he stuck his little bottom lip out and started to cry I couldn't help crying too. It was awful.

I decided to do a little illustration of this in the sketchbook (which is still by the way the pregnancy sketchbook) because I've been wanting to do a page that is personal to us again. Pigeons in the park are fine but I really like trying to document things that are relevant to this time in our lives. Also, as with most of these type of illustrations, the composition for it had just appeared in my head and I wanted to get it on paper. I love it when that happens, when a composition just pops into your head.

I really love how this has turned out. It reminds me of a screenprint. And I LOVE the red background. I knew as soon as I saw the composition in my mind that the background had to be red but I really struggled to put that 'Lipstick Red' Promarker onto the page and I even messed about looking at all my other colours wondering if I could use a different one. I am SO terrified of this red pen. It is so fierce and has the power to obliterate other colours on a page and destroy a drawing, not to mention the next two pages of a sketchbook with the bleed through! 

Unfortunately, the blue of the tears isn't showing up too well from the scanning. I don't know if I will ever work out how to make my scanner scan with clarity!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this too. It is so evocative of the whole experience. I know that pain - it's awful isn't it? You've drawn it perfectly and yes, the red was definitely the right choice! I love the caption too - yes, that captures it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is because you feel like they must think you are letting bad things happen to them. I think the red reflected how brutal it felt!

      Delete