Tuesday 26 February 2013

Baby Bump in the Bath

I've just got back from my 25 week midwife appointment and I was able to hear my baby's heartbeat for the first time!  It's amazing to hear his little heart beating and reassuring to know that he is healthy.  So I've been inspired to do this illustration of how my baby bump looks when I am in the bath.  I notice that every time I have a bath, my bump seems to stick out a bit further above the bubbles and I often can see my belly moving as he wriggles around in there.  I have to have bubbles and have the bath quite deep because I like to have the bathroom window open when I have a bath - the combination of the cold fresh air and the warm water makes me imagine I am in a spa in the mountains or in the sea on a beach.  But I now live in a flat and my upstairs neighbour's metal staircase runs past my bathroom window, and they do use it, so I am a bit paranoid about exposing myself too much!!

I never usually draw from photos but for this I had to take a photo and draw from it because trying to draw in the bath, especially from such a viewpoint, obviously wouldn't have been practical!  I don't know why  I used a black pen on the bottom of the tiles here.  It doesn't look right but I'm not someone who can be bothered with photoshopping mistakes out so they're there and that's that. The tiles in the bathroom are actually black so that's probably where I was heading with it but it wouldn't have looked right, or maybe it would, I don't know. I actually wanted to draw this on darker paper and put all the highlights and bubble bath in with a chalk pencil but I didn't have any dark paper.
Equipment: Cheapo paper, a pencil, Promarkers, a Pitt Pen (mistakenly!)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting view point! I couldn't draw when I was pregnant, and wish I did. It would have been a great way to document the pregnancy. :-) Congratulations on the exciting news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Hwee. Yes, I feel like everything I draw at the moment, and this blog, are a bit of a pregnancy diary for me!

    ReplyDelete