Friday 13 September 2013

Looks like Autumn is here!

Man, I was at the end of my tether today. Alexander hasn't been sleeping well for about 10 days now and also not managing to sleep in his pushchair which is usually how I can reliably get a little bit of a break getting him to sleep so I can sit in the park for a couple of hours. We both have an accumulation of tiredness, overtiredness! Today I was pushing him along in that pushchair and he was crying and I was using up every little bit of my energy reserves. In the end I sat on a bench and cried. And then I pushed him some more and finally, finally he conked out.

By this time I'd made it around to a part of the park I really love, in fact it is the best part, a great long avenue of trees. But I've never sat down there. Today I collapsed there on the nearest bench. I attempted to read my book but had a headache, then I noticed that all around me were fallen leaves and I noticed how lovely the browny-orange colour of them looked against the path which is black. I've been teaching Alex lately about Autumn and what will be happening to the trees (obviously not today!) and so I've been wanting to do an autumnal drawing. But over on the other side of the park it is still more summery, which sounds strange now I say it, a bit Narnia-esque. These leaves just looked so nice against their black background so, of course, I drew them. How fortuitous that Alexander howled on the sunny side of the park, and how thankful am I that I had the trusty Moleskine with me! A friend of mine who is pretty fed up at the moment was saying to me this morning that she thinks she needs to get a hobby. I am so grateful that I draw. I am sure it has saved my sanity on many an occasion!
Equipment: Pencil and Watercolour (Sennelier Artist Grade Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna and a yellow - can't remember which and W&N Student Grade Lamp Black) on Moleskine Sketchbook. I applied the paint pretty dry as it didn't seem quite right to paint something as dry as a dead leaf in a watery way. Also, I like the way the waxy Moleskine takes the watercolours when they are quite dry.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. So lucky you found yourself in that spot in the park. I have found myself pushed to my limits many times...it's nice to have this outlet. There is always art :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi. I sat there again the other day - in the rain, anything to get a bit of peace! There are so many trees and I just kept thinking this sketch would be a whole lot easier if I could draw trees like Jodi Wiley!

      Delete