Tuesday 25 March 2014

Tangerine Acrylic in Moleskine Sketchbook!

Not the most imaginative post title but it's nothing if not specific! No, the reason is that this is a very hastily written post as Alexander is being taken out for a walk at the moment by our lovely volunteer helper and he is due back any minute. I get 2 hours help a week and I have spent most of it cleaning. I'm not that much into cleaning but a basic standard of hygiene must be kept at least! Especially given the amount of food Alex hurls at the floor during mealtimes! Plus there is Loxie's obstreperous malted fur to be eradicated.

Anyway, a week or so ago I was brave and finally got the acrylics out, regardless of whether or not I would have time to do a painting with them from start to finish. I thought it best to paint while Alexander was awake as sleeptime is just too uncertain. After the success of the banana watercolour painting I thought painting at breakfast again would be a good bet. He has a pretty good level of patience to sit in his highchair, eat fruit and muffins and watch me paint.

And here is the 'fruit' of my labour (I guess that could also be a title applied to Alexander!). It is a tangerine, painted in acrylics into my A6 Moleskine sketchbook - amazing what this little Moleskine can have applied to its pages.  I really have been thinking a lot about a holiday to a Spanish island and so this little tangerine with the sunlight (or as much of the sunlight as makes it in through my kitchen window in March) seemed to be a little dream of warmer climes. I think the buff titanium and olivey green background feel pretty reminiscent of continental summers.

Unfortunately there are a few bits of it that I've messed up. The tones on the shaded side of the tangerine are a bit clunky and the stalks are too. I had actually got it looking how I wanted it and then decided I would just add a little more at which point Alexander squeaked that his patience was running out and I just blobbed a load of paint on without checking that I'd managed to mix the colour up to match what I'd already been using. Oh well. There is always something. A painting is never really finished. I'm sure no artist is ever 100% happy with the result.The black lines are because I was painting over a scribbled on page in the Moleskine and didn't manage to cover them quite.
Equipment: Acrylic paint, Moleskine, Bright brushes.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful tangerine. It is so good to catch up with your blog again and see your creativity. your works are very beautiful, delicate and inspiring. Thank you for sharing
    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aga and for stopping by and commenting. I really appreciate the feedback. Since I had Alexander I don't get to go to art classes/groups so the blog is really my lifeline to other creative folk!

      Delete
  2. I think you are right...the artist is never quite satisfied no matter how good their work is! ...I happen to really love your tangerine, and I see no flaws...I even like that the scribbled lines are there...I think it's interesting! I really love that I can see the brush strokes...you make me want to try my hand at that...I don't think I've ever done one that way, and I really like how yours looks...I'm off to grab my acrylics right now! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sweet. I also like those black lines. I think I'm so used to seeing things coming through from the other side of my sketchbooks that it felt out of my comfort zone to not have something similar in a painting! Yes, I always paint with the brush stokes like that with acrylics. I really like it. I also like when the brush skips and some of the background canvas (or paper or whatever) shows through. I was actually planning to do this tangerine with a palette knife which I've recently bought but as I didn't know how long Alexander's patience was going to last I wimped out and stuck with my familiar paint brushes. I've been watching loads of Youtube videos about painting with palette knives but as yet mine is sitting in a jar on my kitchen bench still looking very shiny and new! x

      Delete
  3. I think both the banana and the tangerine are a success. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I like the fact that when you are painting fruit you can really concentrate on the colours as the form is relatively simple.

      Delete